Thursday 13 February 2014

Fiction: The Tingga


I live in a high-rise apartment building called “The Tingga” which means “The Livable Place” in the Syirqs’s language. The outside of “The Tingga” looks abandoned, bearing resemblance to an ancient, dilapidated and neglected building in the 1900s. The paint is weathered and peeling off. The windows are broken and window grills crooked; during the cold nights they would always make a flapping sound when the wind blows. The floor is made from thick old board and always creaks when people walk.

Since I possess supernatural powers, I do not need to use the elevator but this power causes me to be ostracized by the other normal human beings. People think that I am weird because I can appear anywhere I want within a second. Not only do I "teleport" (that's what they called it), I can read their minds and see the future. I inherited this supernatural power from my father's bloodline. My great grandparents are the Syirqs ancestors, but my mom is what they call a normal human without any supernatural powers. Unbelievable as it seems, I really want to live like a normal human with a few best friends and have a boyfriend, but all that does not matter as I am not normal, and more crucially, I need to accomplish my ancestors’ mission - to kill the Arkans.  The only thing that I’m aware now is that I have to started to plan my strategies after my 18th birthday, during the full moon, and fight with the Arkans’ new generation who was chosen by his father.

A long time ago before I was born, my father, Shon, was chosen as the fighter to kill the Arkans’ generation, their sworn enemies. He fought on the Fin Mountain (which got its name from the shark’s fin), that mountain is resembled of peacefulness of the world. From the stories that I heard from my mother, my father stabbed the Arkans’ stomach and the vicious clan of Arkans’ fatally stabbed my father’s heart. After that tragedy, the Fin Mountain spewed lava and killed both of them at the same time. When my mom found out about that, she realize that she was pregnant with me. She remembered that Shon once told her their first child will be the hero of next generation, and it does not matter whether it was a baby boy or girl.

I studied at Le Cordon Bleu, with took culinary arts as my major. I learned how to cook and bake without any problems. My family started a fine dining restaurant way before I was born, when my parents were newlywed. That restaurant is the only source to us to have money. Now I am a head chef on “Restaurante de Italiano”. When I was the beginner, I learn from my first head chef, Chef Tan. I always thought he was cute but there was something uneasy in my heart whenever I saw him, and I did not know why.

One day, I accidentally walked into Chef Tan while carrying a big pot of soup and the boiling hot soup went all over him. Instead of screaming in pain, I saw blue light emerging from him and his skin was totally unscathed. By right, a normal human being would be instantly burned. It was that very day that I knew that Chef Tan was not a normal human being, and that he could very possibly be like me. How is this even possible?! I decided to investigate, and told my mother what happened. She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said that the Arkans would have blue light around them whenever they are attacked, and that Chef Tan could be one of them. I could not believe that. My generations’ arch-enemy was right there in school with me, the person I respected so much and have to end up killing. Mixed feelings and the painful dilemma started to swallow me. I decided to put these emotions aside and was ready to kill Chef Arkan Tan. However, I had to have a plan. I decided that instead of attacking him from the outside, I shall do it secretly by poisoning his food. I thought my plan went well, until Chef Arkan Tan started to writhe in pain and called out my name. I rushed to his side and he looked up into my eyes and said, “I don’t know what is happening, Olethea. But I think I am going to die. It is said that if my one true love tries to kill me, she will be successful. The blue light used to protect me, but it is powerless in the presence of true love. I just want to confess to you that I am actually not a normal human being, and that I love you, before I leave the world.” My tears started falling as I realised that Chef Tan was always in love with me. I cried bitterly on his body and amazingly, he stopped shaking. He then opened his eyes and smiled, saying, “the curse is broken. the tears of our arch enemy can break the curse of our enemity and bring peace between our clans forever.” I hugged Chef Tan, and for the first time, I no longer felt uneasy. This was the beginning of peace, finally, no longer tragedy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment