Monday 24 February 2014

"I Am From" Poem




I am from the bed that I have been laying on, 
from the bathtub filled with hot pink rose-scented water 
and the window that looks onto my home country

I am from the gigantic house 
that fills with happiness 
and smell of the salty water of the sea

I am from the bamboo and coconut trees
that look refreshing in front of my house
while they sway in the wind

I’m from my mom and grandmother’s affection
from their kisses, hugs, and love

I’m from the land of Java and the world of Muslims

I’m from “ki nong nong” and “eat a lot!” and “kaka love mommy, grandma and everybody”

I’m from Bandung and Sunda and the “Gado-Gado”
and sambal salad that my grandmother always fed me 

From the hope of my mother’s effort

I am who I am because of my family and friends who understand me


No comments:

Post a Comment